Welcome to the website of Michael Chu’di Ejekam, world-renowned leader in retail real estate advancements. Throughout the pages of this site, you’ll find interesting facts related to retail, the real estate industry, information about global business advancements, insights from Michael Chu’di Ejekam, and much more.
Who is Michael Chu’di Ejekam?
Mr. Ejekam has been carving out his own path ever since he was a child in Lagos, Nigeria. Like many, he aspired to do great things, shape the world, and help the local economy. He focused on school throughout his youth and applied to the Wharton School of Business at the University of Pennsylvania in the United States to continue his education. Not only did the illustrious Ivy League school accept him, but they further honored him with the Howard E. Mitchell Award as well. He successfully completed his degree and received a bachelor of science in economics, with a focus on finance, before heading to New York for career advancement opportunities.
Michael Chu’di Ejekam: From Nigeria to the USA and Back
After graduation, the emerging entrepreneur took to New York City’s famous Wall Street, working for the well-known company Merrill Lynch. During this time, he participated in $3 billion of LBO financings, IPOs, and leverage loans. From there, he moved into the private sector, assisting a real estate development firm in multi-million dollar exchanges. Mr. Ejekam knew that the experiences he gained in the United States would be of great benefit back home, and so he returned to Nigeria to continue his career with the knowledge he gained in the United States. For seven years, he served as the Director of Real Estate for West Africa for Actis, a $7.5 billion private equity firm, which is also the most active retail developer in sub-Saharan Africa. He was involved in the development of several malls, including some of the largest in the region, stretching as far as Nigeria, Ghana, and broader West Africa, as well as Nigeria’s first green certified commercial building- Heritage Place.
Michael Chu’di Ejekam: Forward-thinking Retail Strategist
Michael Chu’di Ejekam is often quoted by the media as an expert in the industry. His proven track record covers the full cycle of retail investment and development, and his insights on demographics, trends, strategy, and rollouts have proven invaluable for the companies that he has served. Perhaps most importantly, his efforts have helped shape the future of West Africa, bringing more opportunities and a higher quality of life to those who have worked so hard to build up the local economy and create better lives for themselves. However, his story does not end here. Today, Mr. Ejekam continues to follow his passion and expertise, and actively seeks out development opportunities to become involved in.
If you’d like to stay on top of relevant news and stories, catch firsthand insights from Mr. Ejekam, hear about his upcoming projects and get the latest information on the retail industry, be sure to bookmark this site and check back frequently for new material.
Michael Ejekam – Career Highlights
For 7+ years Director Real Estate for W Africa for Actis, a $7.5bn private equity firm- most active retail developer in Sub-Saharan Africa (ex SA). Originated $700+m in retail projects. Retail projects include $100m Ikeja City Mall Lagos, $130m Jabi Lake Mall Abuja and Accra Mall. Other projects include Heritage Place, Nigeria’s first green certified commercial building. Originated three upcoming Nigeria malls ranging from $150-185m each totaling over 40,000m2 each, which would be largest in the region. Co-led exit of Ikeja City Mall.
- Proven track record of full cycle retail investment and development: site origination, equity investment, planning approvals, development management, tenant leasing, asset management and exit of the largest retail malls in Nigeria, Ghana, and broader W. Africa.
- Directed Actis’ W Africa retail strategy, research, rollout. Strong insight about retail challenges, success factors, demographic data.
- Leading role in the “retail revolution”, widely quoted retail thought leader, strong local business and government relationships.
- Prior experience includes a USA private real estate investment and development firm with interests in $2bn of real estate assets. Originated $350m development Trump SoHo, led bid for $750m asset.
- Previously Wall Street investment banker at Merrill lynch in NYC: participated in $3bn of acquisition/LBO financings, IPOs, leverage loans.
- Wall Street transaction experience includes $500m financing for telecom firm and $325m simultaneous High Yield Debt/IPO for oil & gas company. Other Wall Street experience includes $450m Crown American REIT, largest transaction of its type at the time.
Currently on board of Gruppo Nigeria Limited, owner of Ikeja City Mall (joint venture btw Hyprop a South African publicly listed REIT and Atterbury). Also on board of Afrinvest Securities, a broker dealer.